woensdag 18 januari 2012

Capturing what you love
Shooting with passion 

It is important to find a balance between shooting with intent, planning the composition of our images and shooting intuitively, capturing what catches our eye. When we manage to integrate the two, our images will have all the more impact



My favorite subject matter is reflections. I love to capture anything that in any way reflects some of it's surroundings, be it water, shadows, glass, or shiny surfaces.
Here I have captured reflections of myself in my favorite stainless steel mugs. I especially like the way my reflection is divided in two by the two stacked teacups.




Here I have played with the small espresso mugs, placing them in a row and changing the angles and depth of field.



These are my favorite teacups. I love their shape and their colors. I stacked them in different ways and took shots from different angles. Unfortunately the stack collapsed and one of the cups lost an ear.....



Here i have placed them in a row and played with the depth of field, creating a lovely bokeh background.

Creative and intuitive use of lighting, depth of field and positioning can make your subject matter really come to life. You can give it personality or create relationships between subjects and their background.



Here i have used positioning and depth of field to emphasize the relationship between the wooden spoons: they are similar but not identical, they have different sizes and colors.
In the second image I have tried to convey the relationship between the curves in the woodgrain and the wavy lines of the 'filet americain' in the plastic bowl.



The way the blue winter scarf is folded, the way the shadows and highlights emphasize the curves of the folds and the lack of context and other colors give this image a strong sense of personality.
In the second image I have tried to emphasize the contrast between the liquid in the glasses. The glasses are the same but their content is different: the left glass contains more liquid and is transparent with a dotted silvery swirl; the right glass contains a more opaque dark brown liquid with gold colored rays and squares in the bottom.















Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten