dinsdag 18 oktober 2011

Shooting with intent pt 2
Framing and reframing my images
For the weekly challenge we needed to stop being deliberate, to shoot first and think later.
This meant: take a first shot of a subject, study it, think about better or more appealing ways to arrange the elements in the picture, then reframe and shoot again.



I helped a friend move some furniture and she invited me in to see her living space.
Her room has beautiful french windows, and the afternoon sun was creating wonderful patterns of light and shadow on the furniture and on the floor.


I really love this shot of her bed and the lines and shapes on the floor. For me they reflect an atmosphere of silent tranquility that i am seldom able to capture.



I wanted to capture the reflection of the french windows on the floor. The shadows were long and dark, leading all the way to the door. These are the first two shots I took.
The first one in landscape format, only showing some of the lines and shapes on the floor with almost no contextual information. It clearly missed something, so i reframed vertically, at the same time tilting my camera a bit and including part of the chair. 
This shot has more impact, the shadow lines are longer and now lead the viewer toward the chair, and the slight tilt adds some interest.
For me this image invokes a feeling of expectation, the chair is empty, waiting for whom? the door is open, who is going to enter?


Suddenly my friend entered. She wanted to withdraw because she saw me holding my camera.
Instead I asked her to come in and stand next to the door. I reframed and tilted my camera a bit higher, thereby exposing more of the chair and including her sneakers and jeans.
This was exactly the finishing touch this shot needed. Only later did i notice the way the brightly colored shoelaces immediately catch the viewer's attention and the subtle effect of the small part of her hand, tucked in her pocket, that is still visible in the shadow.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten